Happy New Year!
We've made it another year, Happy New Year to everyone out there! My 2013 was definitely a whirlwind and I'm sure 2014 will be just as, if not more, crazy! 2013 travel highlights:
1. A beautifully luxurious week spent on the beaches of the Dominican Republic with my favorite red foxes.
2. A somewhat long plane ride, stopping in Zurich and Bangkok, ultimately leading to the place I've called home the last nine months...Surat Thani.
3. Within Thailand, I've visited some gorgeous beaches including Koh Tao, Koh Phagnan, Koh Samui, Koh Phi Phi, Ton Sai and of course our hometown hero, Khanom.
4. The less sand engulfed areas of the 'land of smiles' were Bangkok, Auytthaya and Kao Sok National Park.
5. Crystal clear waters perfect for diving with turtles in Gili Trawangan, Indonesia.
6. The ever smoggy Beijing, China, were I had my fill of dumplings and somehow managed enough will power to stop before looking like that snotty bitch in Willy Wonka.
7. Siem Reap, Cambodia. Full of temples and .50 cent beers...how could you go wrong?
So 2014, what do you hold on store for me? Hopefully more of Thailand and then back to the land of the free for burgers, Budweiser and the best friends and family I could ask for. It will be a year filled with bittersweet memories just like the last. I'll say goodbye to new friends, hello to old ones and then who knows what will happen next. Where will my next group of friends hail from? What language will I try to pantomime my way through? What climate I'll live in?
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I'm not big on resolutions, but I think this year I'll try to stress out less about my "life plan". I seem to work better on the fly and I know whatever happens, happens and I'm sure it'll work out for the best!
One friend of mine has started a resolution, however, to keep up with his creative writing. For the next 365 days he'll be creating a fictitious character, Hugo. Please head over to his blog and check it out! There are some great lines in these little short stories he posts daily!
The Wasp Catcher Diaries - Dan Cliffe
Whatever your New Year resolutions are I wish you the best in 2014 and hope wherever you are you're in good company!